Monday, February 20, 2012

Can my boss do this? Fast food?

I work in at a fast food; fat burger majority of the employees are Spanish and English speaker. As for me I speak English. My boss inform us today that employees are not allow to speak Spanish during work time unless we are taking customer order or helping them out ordering food. A few of the employees left work early because they were asked to not speak Spanish during work time. We been open for roughly 4 months now, it wasn't any problem at all. When I apply for this place I know that this wasn't mention in the paper we signed. I just want to know if they can apply this rule is this against any law?. Most of my co-worker speaks Spanish to other to communicate faster. We are allowed to talk to each other (but must be in English now) during work time as long we get the task done.



This a burger shop is in (California, LA)



Thanks.Can my boss do this? Fast food?
Under certain situations, yes.



This site explains it and adds obfuscation to an already complex issue.



http://superperformance.com/englishonly.鈥?/a>Can my boss do this? Fast food?
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 created the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The commission enforces the legal right that workers have to a work environment that not hostile and does not discriminate against employees due to selected criteria such as sex, race, and national origin. It seems to me that the situation you are describing is unnecessarily discriminatory and creates a hostile work environment, especially if your boss implemented the policy for the sole purpose of being an unnecessary bigot. I do not know if the EEOC agrees with my opinion, but, if the situation at work is bothering you or other employees, I would recommend contacting them and asking them about the situation. The EEOC is supported by tax dollars; it will not cost you anything to contact them or file a complaint. And it is illegal for your employer to retaliate against you for doing so. The EEOC is on-line at www.eeoc.gov. They can be reached by phone at: 1-800-669-4000.



If you and your coworkers are displeased with the policy, another option that is available to you is to bargain collectively with your employer. This can be done with or without a union. Instructions on how to do this may be found here: http://www.yumworkersrising.com/What_can_we_do_.html.



I am a veteran of the fast food industry and a founder and volunteer for the organization in the "link" above above--Yum! Workers! Rising!--which was formed to fight for better wages, working conditions and respect for workers of the fast food industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment