Sunday, February 26, 2012

What do veggie burgers taste like?

I've recently become a vegetarian, and tomorrow my mother and I are going grocery shopping for foods I can eat. I have never tried a veggie burger and I'd like to know what they taste like before I buy them because if I hate it then I'll regret wasting money.|||It depends on what they make them out of. Read the label. If the top ingredient is soybeans or texturized soy protein, or texturized vegetable protein, they probably taste like soybeans. Most often the texture will be a lot closer than the flavor. 鈭犅?|||It depends on which burger patties you buy. The patties vary a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer.





I do not like Boca Burgers--they are TOO MUCH like meat.





I do like Morningstar Farms Grillers (original), because they look like the burger patties that "everyone else" is eating, they taste good, and yet I know for sure they are not meat. It's the texture more than the taste that I think is important with Morningstar Farms patties. I also like the mushroom patties, which taste like you'd think mushroom burgers would taste. I don't much care for the spicy Black Bean; too spicy for me. You might want to try several "flavors" to find the one you like best. Sometimes I'll make gravy (oil, flour, Gravy Master, and either water or milk) and then heat up the burger patties in the gravy for "hamburger steak." My whole family likes that meal.





Amy's Organics burgers are also tasty but do not taste or feel like meat. I'd recommend them as well if you want to eat a patty but you do not want to eat meat and you want to know you're not eating meat.





Two restaurant chains where I have eaten veggieburgers that were good are Ruby Tuesday and Denny's.|||i think the best veggie burgers are the boca ones. the american flame-grilled taste the most like real burgers, but the other kinds are good too. also the "chicken" nuggets that boca makes taste exactly like real chicken. ive given them to people before without telling them, and they dont say anything. there are also a lot of other foods out there that you can eat. and id like to say thank you for becoming a vegetarian. the animals would thank you if they could talk (:|||They don't taste like real meat- so don't expect them to. That doesn't make them bad, though :)


They pretty much run the gamut.


I highly recommend MorningStar Spicy Black Bean Burger- they are so delicious, though not vegan, and I loved them.


Boca vegan burgers are great for diets- 13g protein for 70 calories- but their taste isn't the best.


I also like trader Joe's vegan chorizo (in a burrito).


I'm not a big fan or fake meats, so thats all I've tried.








Also, I would get:





grains- oatmeal, rice, quinoa, tortillas, bread, potatoes/sweet potatoes, baked chips, bran muffins, and pita pockets





dairy- vegetarian cheese, vegetarian yogurt (no gelatin), and skim milk





eggs- try to get organic/free range if you can





fruits- lots of raw (apples, clementines, bananas, cherries, pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, peaches, berries, plums, grapes), and some dried (dried cherries, raisins, dates)





vegetables- lots of lenitls (black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, peas), eggplant, broccoli, corn, carrots, squash, bell peppers, and mushrooms are my favorites





fats- extra virgin olive oil (sauteeing), canola oil (baking), avocado/guacamole, unsalted nuts, unsalted seeds, and trail mixes. Ground flaxseed has a nutty taste, I eat it on oatmeal and toast. Also, natural nut butters (no hydrogenated oils)- peanut, almond, etc





protein- you can try tempeh (I sautee in olive oil with rice, peas, and carrots), some fake meats, tofu


Other sources of protein already listed are: eggs, dairy, nuts, lentils, seeds, quinoa. You can get by just fine without the 'weird' soy products :)|||A veggie burger is okay. You can eat them exactly the same as any other burger. Just get one box in case you don't like them. Make sure you get the good popular brand, not the cheap knock offs because they aren't nice.


Their potatoes and veggies in a bread crumb batter. Don't cook them on a bbq because they fall apart and don't get fully cooked through. Make sure they are cooked through right to the centre because they just taste disgusting if their not. I like them.


Congrats on going veggie. I started when i was 4. Their are loads of great mags and cookery books about getting a healthy diet. Make sure you eat loads of : Nuts, lentils, beans, dried fruits and yoghurt's. (I found out in a veggie magazine that yoghurt's help protect your teeth from acid erosion from of healthy drinks.)|||There are many types of veggie burgers on the market. Some are


more grain based and others more vegetable based.





You can learn to make your own veggie burger with the


ingredients that you like. Its really not that hard and


may actually be cheaper than buying them at the grocery


store or health food store.|||Not sure about the stores you have available to you but where I live I use GimmeLean ground beef style. It comes in a sort of tube, don't know how else to describe it. It's similar to buying ground beef, rolling it up into a ball, flattening it and throwing it on the grill. With this I make my own patties so I can decide how thin or thick I want them to be. They also sell GimmeLean ground sausage style. With this brand I have tricked many a meat eater into thinking they were eating a real burger.You can also create meat balls,use it in tacos, lasagna etc...They also don't use soybeans that were made using biotechnology.





There are recipes on their website http://www.lightlife.com/recipes.jsp





You may have something different available where you live I'm not sure.





As far as the already formed patties go, some veggie burgers are trying to imitate the taste and look of a meat burger and some are doing their own thing as a veggie burger with identifiable vegetables and various flavors i.e. spicy black bean made by morningstar. Some are spot on and some have missed the mark completely.





But of course if you find none of these are working for you, veggie burgers are only one of your many options. Just be careful about overeating on the more heavily processed foods and whenever possible, make your own. Goodluck.|||Garden burgers taste like their ingredients, potatoes, beans, cheese and spices. Boca burgers kind of have a unique flavor and texture that is a little hard to describe. Maybe a little like the texture of a hot dog, but not as salty, more smokey flavored.





I prefer homemade veggie burgers. I linked a favorite recipe down below.|||Well it definetely doesn't taste like a burger because it's not oily and greasy. You can see the sprouts in it and it's a bit flimsy in texture but really good if you grill it. I usually have a veggie burger and sweet potato fries that are baked w/o salt and not fried. Also a good side dish to the veggie burger is brown rice and mixed vegetables.|||It depends on what kind of veggie burger you are getting. My personal favorite is the Black Bean burger. I'm not a fan of the tofu or soy veggie burger %26gt;.%26lt;. I love the rice and been one too :D! They have some that are made from just veggie, which isn't that good. I'm not really a fan of the portabella mushroom veggie burger, but you get the point. There are a lot of types of veggie burgers. You have to decide which ones you like. Always read the ingredients. FYI they do not taste like hamburgers. None of them do, but they are still GREAT =D.|||In my experience there are two kinds of veggie burgers. There are the ones where vegetables (things like chick peas etc) are deep fried in breadcrums, these mind go best with some mayo and lettuce, like chicken burgers. Then you have meat alternative which are more like beef burgers that go well with either a burger sauce and lettuce or BBQ sauce. Either way, they're both good and satisfy meat cravings.|||Don't expect them to taste like actual hamburgers. I don't eat them often now that I've been at this for a while, but they give you just enough of an idea of a hamburger to make you not really miss meat. I think they're good with ketchup, mustard, onion, lettuce and tomato on them.|||I like them. When I was vegetarian (before I became vegan) I used to go to Burger King and get theirs. They were actually very good. Just as good as regular burgers in my opinion. I have never had the boxed ones. Prefer to fry my tofu. lol.|||Boca's vegan burgers are amazing! My mom had one and she said that they remind her of steak. If you do buy them, I recommend frying them in pan on the stove. The grill doesn't heat them very well, just burns them. You won't regret it though. :)|||If you buy the MorningStar ones, you HAVE to grill them like you would a normal burger them. (To me) they're just disgusting any other way. Grilled they aren't bad though.|||I've forgotten what meat tastes like, but veggie burgers are good when you have the whole shebang-bun, cheese (no rennet) lettuce, sauces, gherkins-taste mighty fine.|||i dont like burgers because of the meat but i like everything else on a burger so i would describe feggieburgers as great|||They are good!! Black bean burgers are the best..just look at the ingredients because many of them have a lot of additives and are just not worth even eating.|||Depends on what you like,but honestly even before becoming a vegetarian id prefer the veggie burger above the meat burger|||There are some veggie burgers that taste almost exactly like meat.|||I think they are good. I actually kinda like them better than regular meat burgers. But it depends on my mood.





I think they have like rice and some other stuff in them. They're good.|||I like lettuce and tomato on my burger!|||it depends wat flavor you buy them. but for me all of them are delicious. i recomend Morningstar veggie burgers|||Not exactly like meat....but ohhh soooo yummy. Better than meat. Meat is so fatty and rubbery.|||potato...and garlic.|||You should get a boca brand of bergers they are good and dont tast like rubber!|||They're delicious








But not as good as meaty burgers





I'm sure you'll like them|||Crap|||They taste like burnt vegetables. They're nasty.|||They do not taste good .

No comments:

Post a Comment