Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sub shop question-- people 30+ and under .....?

Are you like me? You remember what a REAL sub is like-- from a real ma and pa sub shop? Great crusty bread, real Italian meats and cheeses, good olive oil and vinegar, lettuce, tomato, mayo all wrapped up in a greasy paper wrapper? A couple of burgers falling off the roll covered in melted cheese and caramelized fried onion-- so big you couldn't finish it? Do you find it sad now that most kids think a sub is one of those assembly-line things from Subway in the plastic bag that all tastes the same? I don't know who I pity more-- the kids now who don't know any better or me since that bland preprocessed crap is taking over the world.Sub shop question-- people 30+ and under .....?
Healthy Gourmet Meets old world Flavors. We been in the restaurant business for 18 years. Our motto is if you don't love it on the first bite we'll exchange it for anything else you might desire. We don't make our own sour kraut but we do get it from a very reputable company. Boarshead it is pretty darn good. Our Reuben sandwich has 5 ounces of corned beef 4 ounces of sour kraut 3 ounzes swiss cheese and the meat and kraut is sauteed in extra virgin olive oil before it goes on new york marbled rye bread. It is topped with old world style deli mustard or with Thousand Island by request.



We have one of the best French dip sandwich in the state of Texas. Our aujus is secretly our French onion soup and it has some secret ingredients that make it so good, people drive for miles to eat the sandwich.



We have an Italian Hoagie sandwich that has Genoa salami, Proscuito, Mortadella, Provolone, Parmesan, homemade Italian vinaigrette, lettuce, tomato and onion.



Can you say Gyro? Yeero in Greek, Gyro in english. I have heard eight pronuciations of the same word but I only know one way to say Greek taco . Lol. True authentic cooked on a verticle rotisserie, sliced onto Greek bread, tomatoes onions and a home made yogurt cucumber sauce. (Tzatziki)

My wife makes 6 gallons of homemade thick yogurt for the restaurant a week. It is very yummy and very fresh.



Oh don't forget the Spanish sandwich which has Jamon Serrano and Manchego cheese on a fresh baked French bread, fresh tomato juice, Vinaigrette, lettuce, tomato and Pepperoncini Peppers. The Sandwich is literally is sopping with flavors.
A place I used to live used to make the best Reuben sub.......they cooked the corned beef themselves, the saurkraut was brought in from a local woman, and they baked fresh bread everyday.



Sadly, the place isn't there anymore. The owners retired and the kids didn't want to be bothered with the buisness.Sub shop question-- people 30+ and under .....?
I once went to this place in St. Augustine, FL. Me and a friend walked in and it was one lady who owned the restaurant served and cooked our food all by herself. I got a chicken club sandwich. You think "what could be so great about a chicken club sandwich? Its got chicken and bacon on it." Well, I don't know what the lady did, but it was amazing! To this day, I am still in search of a better chicken club than that.
I used to work in a deli and every time i go into a subway or similar establishment i die a little inside... We used to roast our own roast beef to medium rare and it was perfect seeing some precooked preserved gray beef is really terrible as well.Sub shop question-- people 30+ and under .....?
I used to go to this Italian deli that made a sandwich called "the Goomba". It was the best. Fresh Italian bread with Imported Proscuitto de Parma, Fresh Mozz, homemade Rstd Peppers, Sundried Tomatoes. Oh man that is still my favorite sandwich I've ever had.



Funny thing, is my co-workers went to subway today for lunch, I stuck to my frozen meal. If i'm gonna buy a sandwich, I'll make it count, lol.
Ohh I love a good sandwich. I grew up in a town made up of mainly Italians. Lots of fresh breads, lots of fresh meats, and all the good stuff. Oh, the crusty bread. There are a few good places left, but not many. I'm also a big fan of our local agricultural fairs. You do get a lot of those vendors that go to carnivals all over and have crap food, but then, you have the local farmers, and family owned restaurants, and clubs, that make all their food fresh, right then and there. Roast beef on a fresh, crusty roll with REAL horseradish (not that watered down crap you get everywhere else), fresh made NE Clam Chowder, and deep fried potatoes (fresh french fries). Oh, I'm drooling now.
Never tried a real sub, subways all I've tried or other sandwith chains. But we know this Vietnamese place where they have great sandwitches..oh the turkey sandwitch on that sourdough bread. Cheese or butter slabbed on and a couple of tomatos and olives. I know there was much more to it but I dont remember what they were. I liked mine tasting that way. ;and her mom packed those sandwitches and took us to the beach..so after seashellahunting and dipping our feet in the water we'd rest and eat.
There used to be a sub shop called Deep Six, which closed when I was about 5. They made a killer roast beef sandwich from what I remember.



Chubby's, which up the block from my house, makes a great meatball sub. The owner makes his own meatballs and homemade sauce.



I work in Manhattan, and the deli here on 7th makes a decent sandwich. If I want a really good Italian sub I head to Little Italy.
I know, I remember those days. I make those "greasy-crusty-bread burgers and sandwiches" for my husband and our three boys. They call them McMommy's. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment